Friday, February 10, 2006

Little Things

Sometimes I want big things in life, grandeous moments or acts that alter my reality.

The truth is, when I think of the things that have meant the most to me, the memories that have stayed with me, they aren't big and dramatic. In fact they are small acts that are everyday in nature but significant in their effect.

The little things are therefore not small at all. They appear small by our expectations and anticipation. But how large they become when we experience them, when we see the way they change us or stay with us.

I guess the small things really are the evidence of a large heart. They don't need bells and whistles, pretty wrapping, or huge build ups, because they are truthful, they are authentic, they are real.

This morning I was greeted by a "small" thing when I arrived at work. In front of my office stood two coffee cans filled with paper flowers made by four students. Simple tissue paper flowers on pipe cleaner stems in an array of random colors and a note with a short poem and their names. Nothing dramatic, nothing specifically special, but in that moment this morning those flowers were more special to me than anything else.

Little things, big hearts.

UPDATE: Here is a pic of the flowers and the note. You may notice the small bouquet with the little note attached. It has the word To: and then a drawing of what I take to be me and Rebekah (the first grader who made those flowers and the note). The other note (w/the poem) is from the older girls (fifth and sixth grade)

13 Comments:

Blogger Aim Claim said...

so cute... can you post a picture?

2/10/2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

aawwww. kids can be so sweet!

2/10/2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

It is the little things that express your heart that are so precious!

2/10/2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

it is sweet, two of the girls stopped by my office just a while ago to make sure I had found the flowers and the note

2/10/2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, i love that! i agree with aimee - take a picture to go along with the post! that's so sweet!

2/10/2006 2:57 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

that's soooo sweet. It sounds like something my son (SaurKid) made for me when he was about 5 or 6 years old. It means SO much more than some dollar store gift.

2/10/2006 3:08 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

i remember making those when i was little!

me likey.

2/10/2006 3:20 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

did you lighten your hair? It looks pretty cool.

2/10/2006 3:53 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

That is so cool. Kids can be so sweet.

2/10/2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger Patti said...

In a marriage it can be the little things. Like picking up the exact chocolate cake you love with the exact frosting. Not just any ol chocolate cake. I still remember that from 4 years ago.

2/10/2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Awww...that is so sweet. You are so lucky :o)

2/10/2006 7:44 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

That is good lovin' right there.

2/12/2006 11:43 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You know you're gonna miss that.

And I missed YOU last night!

2/13/2006 8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home