Thursday, February 02, 2006

It just made me happy

If you visit me with any regularity then you know that I like 1. stories (good ones) and 2. movies (good ones although I also have a special place in my heart for some really bad movies because they are so good at being bad that they therefore become good).

I was just introduced to a brillant movie. It met all the qualities that define good in my book. It had a good story that was developed and drew me along. It had great characters who I became invested in and "knew" by the end of the flick. It moved me to tears and to laughter (sometimes at the same instant). It stayed with me well after the credits had rolled (movies that linger in your mind and heart are the defintion of greatness).

And I love when I get recommended a movie that lives up to the hype placed in it. Now I had no reason to question this recommendation or the recommendator (made that word up), but there is always a fear that you just won't get what the other person did, and you end up questioning if you have bad taste or they do.

Another thing about a good movie is that you want to talk about it, you want other people to see it so they can share in your experience and lingering delight.

So, my friends (both silent and not), I submit for your viewing pleasure Billy Elliot.

18 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

NEVER doubt my movie recommendations woman!! lol!

2/02/2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ahem Mr. Sporre may I direct your attention to:

"Now I had no reason to question this recommendation or the recommendator (made that word up)"

And you know what happens when you get all huffy and start calling me "woman"

2/02/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger steve said...

ok... its about a boy who Dances BUT IS NOT A PUFF!!

DANCE BILLY!!!

2/02/2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

"is not a puff" HA HA HA. I laughed out loud on that one. Uh-oh, another crying movie for Jubal?

"This is getting serious".

Hope he laid off the bon-bons.

jk Jubal. >:p

2/02/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger steve said...

it is so much more than that Logan but I just cant say more than that... LOL! I JUST CANT!!

2/02/2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That movie is absolutely brilliant.

Saw one this weekend that will make you laugh and cry - "Rory O'Shea was here". It's the story of a quadreplegic and a boy with MS who meet in a group home and their struggle to find independence.

2/02/2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I rented that movie about a a year or so ago, just kinda on a whim... I tend to do that when I am watching things by myself. It WAS a really solid flick.

I am pretty hard on movies... it's a good one.

2/02/2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I'm gonna have to check it out. A boy that dances... must be very intriguing if that can make you laugh and cry at the same time!

2/02/2006 2:14 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

So I just realized that by some weird turn of events, Steve is now the host of this site. Hahahahaha, I think this should have been his post. I'm not complaining at all but I find it hilarious that in my absence he is responding to all comments. Go Steve go, or better Dance Steve Dance.

2/02/2006 2:18 PM  
Blogger steve said...

and that's ok Logan, Thats ok...

I am a secure man. I cry. I dance. I live.

(I exit with wonderful sweeping theme music and the credits roll)

2/02/2006 3:02 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I cannot express how much joy I gained from reading steve's last comment and from picturing his head on Billy Elliot's body as he taps and leaps his way out of our lives

JOY I TELL YOU, INEXPRESSABLE DELIGHT AND JOY AS EVIDENCED BY THE LOUD LAUGHTER THAT ESCAPED FROM MY MOUTH

2/02/2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Mark D said...

I can't help but wonder how interesting the movie would be if it was called Chris Elliot (and, of course, featured Chris Elliot as the dancing boy). That would probably fall into the "so bad it was good" category.

2/02/2006 3:10 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

That's almost as good as picturing his baby face on this profile pic. Thanks to Eddo, that will be engrained in my brain.

2/02/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

You're a big sap.

;)

2/02/2006 4:27 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

That comment was based on your post... not the email you just sent me. lol.

2/02/2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I LOVE that you made up your own word! hahahaha You crack me up!

I MISS BEING HERE DURING THE DAY!!!

2/02/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I've never seen this movie, but will check it out.

2/02/2006 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty late on this one, but I love Billy Elliott, I own it, I dance with you all...

2/03/2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home