Thursday, February 09, 2006

It could have been worse

I don't really like my alarm clock. Ok, I hate it with a burning passion that almost reaches epic proportions. Something like "I hate it so... much... it... it... the... it... the... fee... flames... flames... on the side of my face... heaving... breathless... heaving breaths..." Yep, like that.

But at the same time I have a secret love for my alarm clock and may shed a few tears if it ever passes on to alarm clock heaven. See my alarm clock is sometimes mistaken for a tornado siren, it is that LOUD. It is also very small lacking any bells and whistles, because really who is going to wake up to bells and whistles.

The loudness has a purpose, a very important purpose, because much like a cute little cub (notice I didn’t say big momma bear) whenever my eyes close and sleep comes upon me I am in a state of hibernation. It may take me a while to get to that state, but when it happens I am out. Case in point, I use to live within 200 yards of a very busy train track and never once did the obnoxious horn wake me from my slumber. People have also tried to wake me with loud shouting and shaking but alas I remain in my state of REM slumber.

However, there are two things that can drag me from my sleep. 1. The ring of my cell phone and 2. My trusty alarm clock.

So this morning when the sirens that mark an impending funnel cloud shrieked through my small house and shook the very foundation I jolted out of my dream-state and slid the switch to off (we’ve discussed my disdain for the snooze button before). My eyes blinked and I saw the numbers 6:30 clearly (shhh don’t tell my optometrist that I slept in my contacts) and realized that this night of slumber just hadn’t done it for me because I was still tired. Stumbling out of bed I flipped on the overhead light to try and trick my brain into thinking it was daytime and therefore my body should be waking up much quicker. Light = Awake in my head.

Now my morning routine is very succinct because I really do enjoy sleeping (or better sleeping in) so there is no dawdling and every minute counts. So I shuffled to the bathroom to start the process and noticed something odd. My travel clock that rests on my sink was displaying a troubling sight. Those numbers read 5:30. Curious I turned to look back at my alarm clock and confirmed that it said 6:30. Now this presented a problem to my mind, the numbers didn’t match. That sounds pretty obvious now at 10:00 am but at 5/6:30 in the morning thinking takes just a bit longer to occur. My first reaction was deep and abiding joy because I might actually get another hour of sleep, but there was also a slight hint of fear that my travel clock was wrong and this was all a sick joke.

So I traipsed into the living room to confirm on that clock the actual time. And the sleep fairies rejoiced with me as I saw that it was indeed 5:30. After the celebration ended and I realized that I could return to the confines of the covers I questioned the blasted alarm clock for waking me a whole hour early. Had I set the alarm incorrectly? Was this some cruel joke planned by my alarm clock? Then I realized that I had in fact reset the time on my alarm clock and played the cruel joke on myself. A few pushes of the button later and I was back to my blissful sleep for a surprise hour of additional sleeping.

I was a little frustrated that I had those few moments of awakeness to interrupt my slumber but I guess it could have been worse. I could have set the time ahead an hour and woken up at 7:30 by accident. That would have resulted in a very different story.

27 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I love my alarm clock... I have had it since... my senior year in high school. I traded my alarm clock with one of my old girlfriend's because mine was too quiet. It is an old friend of mine.

I love my snooze button... but then I have written about that already.

2/09/2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Oh... and "little cub." Who are we kidding here?

Big Momma Bear.

lol.

2/09/2006 10:11 AM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I freak out at loud noises, so my alarm clocks must be soft music only or I FLIP OUT. I mean, I jump up in a full-blown panic attack momentarily...

Happily I work from home so I'm not on a rigid schedule as I once was...

2/09/2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger Out Of Jersey said...

I hate alarm clocks, they scare the crap out of me because I'm such a deep sleeper.

2/09/2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

OH MY GOSH. I read "burning passion" and IMMEDIATELY I started saying "I hated it so...much...it...flames....flames...on the side of my face." I SWEAR I DID. And then I saw that you wrote exactly what I was thinking.

Kindred spirits we are.

Cute little cub (with ridiculously shiny hair).

I'm out like a light roughly 2 min. after my head hits the pillow and it takes 2 alarm clocks and a husband saying "you're gonna be late" to get me out of bed.

GRRR. I didn't get to go back to sleep at 5:30 this morning. About that time I was inserting my contacts that I absolutely cannot sleep in. GRRRR said the Big Momma Bear.

2/09/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Yeah: Where does the flames..flames... thing come from? Is this another reference to "The Princess Bride" that I know nothing about?

I NEED to watch that movie!

Anyway: I'm just like you: NOTHING can wake me up but those same two things. Sad, really. Someone shouting at my face will do nothing, but a simple ring of my phone has me springing out of bed.

2/09/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You MUST see the Princess Bride, but the "flames" quote is from the movie Clue, based on the game.

Another MUST see.

2/09/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

I am a big fan of the TV being used as my alarm clock... it provides noise, somewhat soothing not harsh like a horn, and it also provides light, making it hard to keep eyes closed.

Wish I was a super heavy sleeper... the downtown trolley runs outside my window :( I often have to sleep with one of those white noise maker things (love it!)

2/09/2006 12:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ben, I got your first comment by email notification but not your second

Big momma bear?

whatever, OLD GEEZER GRANDPA BEAR

2/09/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

and JCol the clue quote was in special honor of you

2/09/2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

*beams with delight*

2/09/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Hee Hee.

'bout time you noticed that.

2/09/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm gonna have to bust you like I did steve (the time we don't speak of lest he boycott me again), I noticed that you were checking back quite a bit, looking to see if I took the bait and responded did you big bro . . . . . BUSTED

2/09/2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

What are you talking about... I am ALWAYS on your site... besides that... you will also notice that I was checking your comments for yesterday's post...

"One who sees all"... give me a break.

2/09/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ahahahahahaha oh ben it is just so fun to give you a hard time, watch out or i will get Syd back over here to give you a hard time about the picture of the chocolates and the hairy chest

2/09/2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ben, just stumbled across this word on another blog and it fits:

Bloitering.

Ben is a Bloiterer.

2/09/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

I don't understand how anyone can get right up the first time the alarm clock rings. I must hit snooze several times, until I am actually awake enough to crawl out of my hibernating bliss.

2/09/2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

You? Give me a hard time?

Never. ;)

And I never give you a hard time. You should take notes.

2/09/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

dissimilarly, and yet similarly, i went to bed last night at 10:30. roger came to bed at midnight.

when he came in, i woke up, thinking, "gosh! is it already time to get up?" and then also, "i feel so rested. what time is it?"

and upon realizing i had only been asleep for an hour and a half, i suddenly became tired again, and rejoiced that i still had SEVEN HOURS OF SLEEP AHEAD OF ME.

it was blissful.

2/09/2006 3:52 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Jes - 7 MORE hours of sleep?!?! After sleeping 1 1/2 hours?!?!?

*jealousy ensues*

I go to bed b/t 10:30-11:00. Alarm clock(s) begin at 4:45 and I get up b/t 5:15-5:19.

yep. jealous. (and I'm NOT a morning person)

2/09/2006 4:28 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Yeah, not a morning person, either.

My alarm clock died, so now I only use my cell phone's alarm clock. I like it because "cell phone time" is always pretty accurate. Plus, if my power goes off in the middle of the night, my cell phone will still function (always a good thing). I used to house sit, and the electrical wiring in the residence had not been updated since the early 1950s (I needed a converter to plug in my old alarm clock). Thus, a gentle breeze would blow outside and the power would flash off inside. Didn't take me (or my boss) very long to realize that I need a device with a battery back up.

I am a light, light, light sleeper. Anything and everything wakes me up. If it thunderstorms in the middle of the night, I am up until it stops. Grrrrr...I envy your ability to sleep through essentially anything and everything.

However, I have recently discovered WHITE NOISE machines, which do help block out noises that might otherwise wake me up.

Biologically, I am a night owl. I get a second burst of energy around 10 or 11, so it is very difficult for me to fall asleep (even if I'm already in bed). I love this second burst if I'm working on something that needs to get done, but ABSOLUTELY hate it when I have to wake up early.

2/09/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I'm a pretty deep sleeper but certain noises will wake me up, like a baby crying. I do agree with kristi. I have to hit the snooze at least four times before I get up. SO I set my radio alarm (volume loud) 28 minutes early. At 7 minutes per snooze it works perfectly. My morning routine is, like Katie's, well timed. If I have any extra time in the morning it usually means I forgot to do something. Fortunately now I live 3.2 miles from work so there is no commute to speak of.

2/09/2006 5:48 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Katie, you remind me of my 13 yr old daughter C. She turns into psycho woman in the morning. This morning was really bad. K turns her bedroom light on to try and get her moving and she starts making gutteral sounds from the pit of her belly as the blanket is pulled up over her head and tucked far under again. Reminder 2 comes around, wake up C, you're going to be late! (I'm a bad mom, I'm still in bed listening to all of this go on). She yells some undistinguishable words that I think meant "TURN THE LIGHT OFF!" and goes back to sleep. Now she has about 20 minutes until school, and she still has to shower. Little bro J decided to give it a try and ring bells in her face, but she is being stubborn and won't get out of bed until someone turns the light off - no matter how late she is! This is when I scream from my room "Get up!!"

She proceeds to the shower, but won't get into the shower until K leaves the bathroom. Thus more rumbling and yelling in the bathroom. K opens the door too soon which sends her into another fit, and she runs back under the covers. Now Mom is angry and C is grounded big time!

So after my head nearly explodes from my blood pressure rising, everyone is doing what they need to be doing, and they somehow manage to get to school on time.

So, how's that for starting your day off? C hates getting up, any suggestions?

2/09/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

this morning came before i was willing to accept it. i'm jealous of my comment yesterday, too.

2/10/2006 10:22 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

No clock in the room where I sleep
the sun wakes me up early as it lightens the sky - no watch on my wrist. and largely no hard schedule to abide by, thats why I would not trade my life for any other.

2/10/2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger David Edward said...

ps Blog Olympics training camp is coming on the 15th, there is a link on my site.

2/10/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Lia said...

How I wish I could sleep like that!

2/10/2006 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home