Friday, December 02, 2005

I like being your blog neighbor

I have always wanted to have a neighbor
Just like you!
I have always wanted to live in a
Neighborhood with you.
So let’s make the most of this beautiful day;
Since we’re together we might as well say,
Would you be mine?
Could you be mine?
Won’t you be my neighbor?


Ok, I’m going to make a rash statement here, if you don’t like Mister Rogers then we can’t be friends. Sorry, but there is a line that I must draw and this is it. I can accept many things – biting the heads off of chickens, running me down with a driving lawn mower, torturing me as a pre-teen by sticking my hand in a bowl of water while I’m sleeping to see if I’ll wet my sleeping bag, eating cornnuts in my presence, even teasing me for being homeless in the near future – but this, oh this, we will just not be friends if you have any disdain for Mister Rogers.

The cardigan (or sweater if cardigan sounds too girly), the slippers, the puppet, the perfectly coiffed hair, the soothing voice, and the smile, Mister Rogers was and is a childhood breath of fresh air.

So you will join me in rejoicing that I happened upon a small little book that brings such joy and a smile to my face called “The World According to Mister Rogers – Important Things to Remember”. And because this is a book about Mister Rogers, it of course has a sketch of a cardigan/sweater on the cover.

And this little book has inspired me, so you may be hearing a bit from Mister Rogers and me in the near future, because, well, he makes me think, and when I think I write, and when I write I post, and then you read and the circle is completed.

So today I venture back to my childhood, sitting in front of the television (one with a dial) and remember the joy of the opening song (sing it with me, you know you remember the tune and the words are above). Won’t you be my neighbor?

One last thing, the foreword of the book is written by Mister Rogers’s wife (I can’t call him by his first name because that almost seems sacrilegious) and she opens with a quote that he carried in his wallet. This is a great quote and one I can picture him returning to over and over again as he pulled a bill from his wallet in everyday circumstances.

So I leave you with this quote:

He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much, who has enjoyed the trust of pure women, the respect of intelligent men, and the love of little children, who has filled his niche and accomplished his task, who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul, who has never lacked appreciation of Earth’s beauty or failed to express it, who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had, whose life was an inspiration, whose memory a benediction.
- Bessie Anderson Stanley

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh no. I think we just found our deal breaker Katie....


I HATED Mr. Rogers growing up. I would actually get mad that he was on AGAIN "why can't they just play another episode of Sesame Street?!?!"

Oh yeah... it was that bad.

As an adult, I will tell you that I do have a greater appreciation for Mr. Rogers than I ever did as a child, if only for his gentle nature, and clean program (something I would hope my children would enjoy someday).

Sorry Katie.

Please don't hate me. lol

12/02/2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi ho, Hi ho, where did all my blogger friends go?

It's quiet around here today. You could hear a pin drop...

12/02/2005 12:42 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok well if you hated him then but appreciate him now, I will make an exception for that and that only. Stephanie it was Mister Rogers, how could you hate him? I will chalk it up to youthful ignorance of his greatness.

P.S. I'm dropping pins, can you hear them?

12/02/2005 12:44 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

Mr. Rogers is my hero!

12/02/2005 12:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Vaguely.

I think aim's presence kind of absorbed the sound a bit.

btw: thanks for making an exception for my chilhood ignorance. I was on pins and needles waiting to see if you'd drop me like a hot potato or not. ;)

12/02/2005 1:03 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Fred is the man!

12/02/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Leave it to Steve to go all sacriligious.

12/02/2005 2:32 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

he had a wife? i TOTALLY thought he was gay.

12/02/2005 4:37 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Thanks for getting the tune stuck in my head!

O.k., o.k., I'll admit it...I watched Mr. Rodgers - sometimes.

And oh yes, the dial on the t.v. and you only had like 5 channels to choose from!

12/02/2005 7:34 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Oh I LOVE Mr. Rogers. I always felt like he treated kids as grown ups, who could handle things and he never had to embellish to get you to think about things in a new way.

I loved the sweater, the shoes, and especially when he cut shapes out of construction paper, or when he fed the fishes.

He was an amazing man, and I believe we can still be friends. Yay.

12/02/2005 9:11 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

My favorite show was the one where Mr.Rogers went to the set of the incredible hulk show. Big Lou was fantastic and Bill Bixby was well, Bill Bixby.

My job requires me to change shoes alot. Sometimes I cant resist the song. It always cracks everyone up.

12/02/2005 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't watch Mr. Rogers too often when I was a child, but when I did I always liked, Henrietta Pussycat. Hm, now I have that tune in my head.

Thanks for the comment too by the way Katie. Your site is great, and you share the first three letters of my name, so, tis all a great thing! Be Great!

12/04/2005 8:35 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Hi Thomas, welcome from the land down under - because yes Texas is so big we can call the south part down under (or at least I say we can)

Kate - hey girl, welcome, we share four letters so that means we are SUPER COOL.

12/04/2005 9:30 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

As a newcomer here, I have to say that I liked Mr. Rogers as a kid but it was not my favorite kids show. That award goes to "The Electric Company" and "Zoom".

I appreciate that show more now because most of the kids shows on television now are either a) glorified toy ads or b) just plain pointless. At least Mr. Rogers taught kids something, whether they admit it or not.

BTW, I'm going to link you, so I'll remember to come back.....

12/05/2005 9:14 AM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Oh, I LOVE Mr. Rogers!

I remember watching him when I got home from ballet practice when I was 5! He came on after Sesame Street!

12/05/2005 10:31 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I really liked Mr. Rogers. I can still hear the "bing-bing" of the train for the little puppets. Good post K-T. I was glad to read more about him and what a great man he was in "real" life.

12/05/2005 11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home