Thursday, November 24, 2005

And the tradition continues

Can you have deja vu a full year later? Well I can.

Yep, 365 days ago I embarked on a quest to win at Texas Hold Em and while I did not win I held my own with a group of guys and did pretty well for myself.

If you want to read that story click HERE.

Some famlies have Thanksgiving day traditions: pulling the wishbone, going around the table telling each other what we're thankful for, getting out the Christmas decorations. My family plays poker, Texas Hold 'Em to be exact. And we play for moo-la.

The cards came out, the money was forked up (I had to borrow cash from my mom, how sad is that? it seems noone in my family has a check card machine), the chips were stacked and the trash talking began. Two games later my mom had whooped up on my sisters and me (thankfully my mom is a softie and she cancelled our debts - seems the first two games were for warm-up).

Then her best friend and her daughter showed up and the real game started. Many hands later and it's me and my mom in a heads up showdown. My mom is a sneaky player and has logged many hours on internet poker. She called me on some money pots and I had her beat with some amazing hands. I play a tight game of poker people. I am not afraid to fold if I'm not feeling it and I will put my money where my mouth is when I'm sure I've got the table beat. A few good blufs, a few great hands and I prevailed and I walked away from the table with my winnings. (Ok I did a little celebration dance and gloated a bit - but only a bit).

So next year if you want to come to my house for Thanksgiving, bring your money and your poker face because I'm feeling lucky. Any takers?

P.S. Hope you all had a great thanksgiving.

9 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

My ex's family has the same tradition. Her dad is a quasi-pro player. I earned everyone's respect with a winning hand and the gall to bump the pot against the top dog.

Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving.

11/25/2005 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom's are supposed to be softies...it's our right! To clarify, I only play for fun on the puter...not into internet gambling for real money - too cheap, plus I love the in person 'sunglassed' stare-down.
love ya!

p.s. Did ya'll ever find my sunglasses...they mysteriously disappeared during the showdown.

11/25/2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

:-)

Sounds like a fun place to be, with your family and Mom whooping up on ya!

Have a great weekend!

11/25/2005 4:49 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sounds great Katie, but I'll pass. I don't know how to play poker, and besides as a student, I have no money lol. Now, if you want to play with Monopoly money I can try to dig out our old game and get the money from that...

11/25/2005 8:51 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Way to go K-T! And I would have loved to have seen your victory dance, but I can only imagine.

11/26/2005 3:07 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

hahaha KT! Sounds right up your alley! lol glad you had a great time this weekend! Too bad there aren't any pictures of said "show-down"... you know, kind of like the one Steve shared with us a few months back:
"In your face uncle Steve!" ...hehehe still cracks me up.

Oh yeah, and a picture and/or a video of the victory dance would have been outstanding!

11/28/2005 8:33 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Good times, you are good at Texas Hold'em, we need to play with real money one night for a game night.

11/28/2005 11:58 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

That does sound like fun...congrats

11/28/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Classic.

11/28/2005 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home