Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Beauty - UPDATED

There are so many things in life that are scary, uncomfortable, destructive, and yet in their simplicity they are still beautiful.

The following are pictures I got from an email that states they are of Katrina coming ashore in Mississippi. Of course, being that I am an extremely intelligent person I decided to do some investigating into the pictures. Obviously there is no coast line in any of the pics so I was wondering how it would be Katrina come ashore.

In fact these images are actually photographs of tornadoes taken by storm chaser Mike Hollingshead in southwest Iowa in late spring 2004. Most of them are viewable on the 2004 Digital Photos section of his web site (scroll about halfway down the page). Now I would NEVER fall for one of those big mass email bits so I want to make sure that all my readers know the truth.

Now if you look closely at the pictures you can see corn fields so of course Iowa and NOT Mississippi would be the place for these pics to be taken.

That being said, they are beautiful and they are of a storm that I'm sure did some major damage. My original hypothesis that nature, even in its most destructive capabilities, is beautiful is true.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


There is something beautiful in the way our weather works, in the way there is order and structure to a storm. The effects may be devastating, but the storm, the controlled fury, the power of wind and rain are beautiful in themselves.

P.S. Pay no attention to the anonymous commenter who is trying to steal my thunder by claiming he knew about these pics being fake before me. I really was just trying to see how trusting you in fact were.

:)

29 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

Don't know, a friend emailed them to me.

9/14/2005 8:58 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Those pictures are breathtaking!

9/14/2005 9:24 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

oh, wow. those images are absolutely beautiful.

of course, i think that the photographer has a few screws loose.

9/14/2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

also, these make great desktop backgrounds. :)

chxrjn!

9/14/2005 9:40 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Wow Katie Those are incredible.

Holly

9/14/2005 9:52 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Awesome! I Freakin' Love storms, even though our house was struck by lightning in 1990 and burned to the ground.

9/14/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow, those are gorgeous. We don't get too many big storms here but when we do, I love it. The power and the beauty in them are just incredible.

9/14/2005 11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok. Time to be the bad guy...

I of course also got this mass mailing...

same thing happened when the tsunami hit.. there were pictures of thousand foot waves that someone "took"...

These are photo shop pictures that someone made.

they are beautiful pictures but not of Katrina.

9/14/2005 12:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ok Anon since you decided to be the party crasher I think you should reveal yourself.

Ok, they're not of Katrina. I'm ok with that.

I'm more impressed with the beauty of nature (in all its forms be it a hurricane or a sunset).

So let's just appreciate the beauty of the photos (retouched or not). :)

9/14/2005 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

duede

we are gonna be fighting...

again

9/14/2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Wow

Beautiful pictures Katie!

9/14/2005 12:50 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

DORK

9/14/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Katie you look GREAT today! Your hair is perfect!

9/14/2005 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/storm.asp

9/14/2005 1:03 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I will say they are REAL photos..

just not of Katrina.

www.snopes.com you can find out the truth to ANY email you ever get...

my humble regrets...

9/14/2005 1:05 PM  
Blogger steve said...

aces over kings...

9/14/2005 1:20 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

flattery and then fighting words, hmmmmmm?

9/14/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

They ARE beautiful photos K-T. I love pictures like that. I guess I just love pictures!

I'll be on your side of the fight. 2 against one. Ha!

tdnmsojw

9/14/2005 1:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ok I feel bad now.

I WAS WRONG PEOPLE. I WAS DUPED.

Thank you Anonymous Steve for pointing out that the pictures were not of Katrina. On second glance I should have realized that, corn fields in Mississippi? Hmmm not likely.

The pics are beautiful (as all seem to agree) so my post is halfway right.

But I was wrong, Steve was right. (I know he just loves having me write those words.)

His aces over kings beat my little pair of deuces, even though I tried to bluff my way out of it.

:) No fighting necessary.

9/14/2005 1:52 PM  
Blogger steve said...

as i said earlier I was also wrong..

the photos ARE real... (enhanced perhaps)

i feel like there has been some growth here Katie... LOL!

9/14/2005 2:16 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

growth on my part?

Probably a good thing.

9/14/2005 2:32 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

God created such beauty .... I LOVED the pictures!

And to think people think that this all came from a big bang.... get real!

9/14/2005 2:52 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

*group hug*

9/14/2005 3:28 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

That first one looks like the ocean is in the sky...if that makes sense.

I def see God's grandure in nature. I wish Dallas had a skyline of Mountains.

Blessings.

9/14/2005 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katie Rae!

Hee Hee!!! My 1st trip to the Blogworld :) I bet you have no idea who I am ;) Such an interesting place to visit...we'll talk soon...actually I'm callin' ya in about 10 minutes

Love You Friend!

Signed the Superhero Alias "Bra Girl"

9/14/2005 4:23 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ah and Bra Girl finally makes an appearance.

Yes I have INTERESTING friends.

9/14/2005 4:31 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Duped.

You are the Super Duper...
Or you could be the Duped Super Duper.

Regardless...

You were duped.

ijdxfk

9/14/2005 10:24 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

hi. so early in the morning, and i'm ALREADY visiting your blog. aren't you proud of me?!? :)

9/15/2005 8:56 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

wait. who's Bra Girl? the world must know.

9/15/2005 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home