Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Brothers

I have two brothers. We look nothing alike, we have three different mothers, we use to all live in different states, and we didn’t become family until we were in our 20s but none of that matters because these guys are the closest thing I have to brothers.

Many moons ago I worked at Kanakuk Kamps. This is where I found my brothers.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Luke and Brad

Luke and I had worked together one summer but we really didn’t get to know each other very well. He was the studly pool guy and I was the office girl (not the HOG at this point) so we of course crossed paths because when you work at kamp (notice the “k”) you get to know everyone.

The next summer I returned to kamp (as the HOG) and met Brad, who looked a heck of a lot like Prince William (really it was freaky). I’m not really sure where or how our friendship began but I distinctly remember riding in a car with him and three other guys on a night off during work week (the week before kids come and we get kamp ready). I’m also not even sure how I ended up with a car full of guys – not planned I assure you. Somehow after that we became fast friends. Then Luke came into the picture. He and Brad buddied up and I was along for the ride.

We quickly became a trio and formed a tight bond. It is funny how friendships can form out of thin air and become close so quickly. We became each other’s cheering squad, support team, shoulders to lean on, ears to listen as we vented about frustrations, person who would always laugh when we had a funny story, and all around best friends.

I remember thinking how funny it was that somehow I ended up buddying up with the two best looking, most gracious, wisest, best all around guys at kamp. It didn’t hurt their popularity that Luke was the pool daddy (head lifeguard) and Brad was the worship guy (all girls love guys with guitars – a fact of life). In fact there were quite a few gals who tried to pump me for information on these studs.

Ha ha quick side story – I gave these two guys such a hard time about being the most eligible bachelors at kamp. Seriously, there were so many girls scamming after them and then the girl kampers, oh my word, I think each of them would pose for at least 20 pictures each parent’s night with kids and moms alike – hahahahaha – I would make so much fun of them for that. One day off I decided to get them t-shirts to announce their stud qualities. So Brad had a t-shirt that said STUMBLING and Luke had one that said BLOCK. So together they were the kamp Stumbling Blocks. The funny part was that they loved them and wore them to breakfast one morning; unfortunately, our director happened to eat that breakfast and gave them some mighty funny looks as he read their shirts. Ahahahahaha. Priceless.

It also struck me that I could form such a great friendship at kamp (where everyday is crazy and wild and you never know if you are going to get to spend any real quality time with friends). Also the fact that we only spent three months out of the year with each other made the friendship pretty ironic.

But these were my brothers. They were there to take care of me, watch out for me, laugh with me (and at me some times), encourage me when I was frustrated or upset, and above all let me just be their friends (which was a blessing in so many ways).

It was also just a neat experience to be the friend of two awesome guys. I got to be their sounding board when it came to girls. I got to be an encouragement to them as they rose in the ranks of kamp leadership. I got to see and hear “guy talk” which was an experience in and of itself. I also got to just love them for being such great guys and encourage them as strong, godly men of faith (what an honor).

I remember my last day at kamp. I had to leave before the summer ended and it was such a mix of emotions walking out of kamp for the last time as a staff member. Luke and Brad showed up to drive me up the hill and say goodbye. I remember being ok with leaving kamp (I had resolved the ending of that part of my life) but I was having trouble knowing that those three months out of the year when I got to spend a summer with my best guys friends was coming to an end.

The best part, though, was knowing that our friendship was bigger than kamp. It wasn’t really tied to those three months each year. We had formed a friendship that wasn’t limited by time or distance, these guys were my brothers and I knew that we would continue to be friends no matter where life took us.

Well both of these amazing guys married amazing girls in the last two years. I was honored to be a part of Luke’s wedding (as his assistant – funny job but perfect for our friendship). I missed out on Brad’s but only because I was a bridesmaid in my roomies wedding on the same day (I did investigate the possibility of flying to his wedding immediately after hers but that was crazy). One of the best things is that I have a special friendship with each of their wives, which started before they were even engaged. These two women are such godly and sweet girls and perfect matches for their husbands. Our friendship has of course changed since they got married but every once in a while I get to check in with them and catch up. They are both amazing men who are being used by God in so many ways and I am so proud to call them my friends.

So what’s the point of this post you ask? Well nothing really. I just ran across a picture of these guys and it brought a smile to my face. I love that friendships can come from anywhere. It is always a surprise where and how you make some of the best of friends.

14 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie- very sweet dedication. I love guy friends like that. My "brother" lives in Green Bay with his wife who, I too, developed a close bond with before they were engaged. My friendship with him changed as well, but I would never take back the great times we spent together. Oh my! Perhaps I should do my own little "Dan Dedication" on my site!

9/13/2005 2:00 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Brothers. I always wanted a "real" older brother. I had two "brothers" my senior year. Jason and Jonathan. Man, we had alot of fun together. I've known Jason since we were 5 years old, and b/c he couldn't ever pronounce my name correctly, I chose his pronunciation as my camp name. He married my best friend after we graduated from high school. I've lost track of Jonathan. At church, the guys became my closest friends. So easy to relate to, so transparent and so fun. I'll have to find a picture of J&J and post it someday.

Great post K-T. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

9/13/2005 2:08 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I just like the part about guys with guitars

ok, seriously. Good post. It took me a long time to realize that guys and girls can be friends. Some of the best friends I have right now are girls and I wouldnt trade em for the world

9/13/2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Guys with guitars = STUDS (a little window into a girl's mind)

9/13/2005 3:18 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Ah... I have 3 brothers.... I older, and 2 younger! I love em soooooo much.... wouldn't trade them for a thing. Great post! ;-)
Brought back a rush of memories of me and my BRO'S!

9/13/2005 3:45 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

Sweet post. I feel like in the last several years out of college my guy friends have diminished...

praying that I could have some good male friendships - ya know?

9/13/2005 4:00 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie I will agree whole-heartedly on the point about guys with guitars. I wonder if it works the other way around? Hmmm? I may have made a very wise investment in my new fancy guitar!

9/13/2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Cav - Same thing for me with the guy friends diminishing, but the ones i have are well worth the small number

Stephanie - hmmm not sure about that, let me know what you find out miss rocker guitar chick

9/13/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Sad to say, they diminish a little bit more when you get married. But then you get brother-in-laws.

But then they become your friends too!

nhfqftps

9/13/2005 4:18 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I have no guitar.

(Whew! Good thing I am married...)

jouqqqt

9/13/2005 9:43 PM  
Blogger Cav said...

"nhfqftps"

is there a secret language or am I just stupid.

9/14/2005 12:21 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Cav,

we're just lame enough to be posting the word verification letters on our comments.

micmx! (roman numerals???)

9/14/2005 7:56 AM  
Blogger Cav said...

ahh ok

yqlzgrma.

now I am cool. ha.

9/14/2005 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, old school staff shirts - actualy I bet I was a camper at k2 then. Nothing like being on staff though, licing day in and day out with people who are there for the same reason you are. I still keep up with some of the people I worked with too, but while I will always be close with some of them nothing will match being in the next cabin over.
-Sean
WaywardPuppy.com

9/14/2005 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home