Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Is it all just one big reality show?

I don't often comment on pop culture here on Kpinion. It's not that I don't have an opinion on pop culture, I've just never really taken the time to write about it. Oh but I take the time to make myself aware of it. I get the highlights from the internet (although tmz is not on my list of must reads), I watch E!, and I have been known to purchase a People and US every once in a while.

Why is it that the life of celebrities, celebutantes, and then just the infamous intrigue us? Oh a few of them are doing things of worth but for the most part the press goes to those who make the most screw-ups. We're entranced by Alec Baldwin's voice mail to his daughter, Paris's impending jail time, and now Lindsay's run-in with the law (followed by her second stint in rehab).

Mix all this pop-culture with the onset of the reality show and you have the best of the worst of our culture. Survivor, Amazing Race, The Bachelor, The Real Wedding Crashers, even the ground breaking Real World. All set up this idea of "reality" for you to watch from the comfort of your living room couch when in fact they really just promote backstabbing, bed jumping, and all those other things that we see played out in the tabloids.

So I wonder if Hollywood is really just one big reality show. A little bit reality and a lot more entertainment, all mixed up into a package that we can't seem to turn our eyes from.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eddo said...

Bed Jumping? What's wrong with that? i used to love jumping on the bed!

5/30/2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Bed Jumping..... sounds like a new-fangled Olympic sport, complete with a panel of international judges.

5/30/2007 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home