Friday, February 09, 2007

And that's when I ripped my face off and revealed my true identity

We all have them, identities that are imposed upon us by others, be them true representations of who we are or a facade of who people think we are or ought to be. Now, I'm not complaining about my perceived identity, in fact, on some points it's pretty close to the truth. BUT, I do find some fun in making sure people don't have me pegged as just one thing.

Take for instance a few weeks ago when I went to a friend's wedding shower with some other girls. The few of us there that all knew each other from a bible study were labeled as such "bible study friends" (btw I've been labeled that a lot at weddings lately, ha). So there we are playing a game during the shower (now men, this was a lingerie shower so if you don't want to know what we were doing, stop reading now) which entailed us giving a name to each of the "outfits" my friend received. Oh, I forgot to mention that in this specific group of girls I am considered the most "pure" or "angelic" or "proper" or insert any other name in here that seems innocent and comes with a standard issue halo. Now, I am more than willing to embrace my "good girl" image because, hello, I am a "good girl" but even good girls get saucy and funny and have their moments and well I just happen to have lots of moments.

So among all these ladies we are trying to come up with titles for her gifts and boy howdy (like that don't you?) I got into it. I also have a tendency to say out loud what other people will whisper or mumble under their breath. If you're gonna say it you might as well make sure everybody hears it. And so the party went, my friend would hold up a gift, there would be a few suggestions of names, something tame and cute, and then here comes Katie with a whopper of a title. It didn't help that all of us who know each other were sitting together in a corner and conspiring to top whatever was suggested. And top them we did. Now let it be known that I wasn't the sole contributor to our suggestions, but I definitely was the spokesperson.

Now, for the sake of my "good girl" image I won't share with you the titles we came up with, but I can tell you that there were many comments about "those crazy bible study girls". But the best came at the reception when our little group of gals was being introduced by the maid of honor to some friends of the bride's from college and she started with "this is katie and I don't remember the rest of ya'll names" and then she explained that all the bridesmaids knew my name because of that game, oh and the card I made for the bride, but that's a whole other story.

So all this to say that it's funny to see how you might shock someone by stepping just a bit out of your perceived image. Now rest assured that I am quite the "good girl" and really nothing happened that would even cross over the line of decency. But amongst this "good girl" image lies a funny and sometimes just a bit shocking persona that will keep your image of my halo as just a bit crooked.

14 Comments:

Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Hey! You TOTALLY stole my identity.

You always saying "poor, innocent ol' JCol." HELLO.

Yeah. Not so much.

But I try, I really do.

2/09/2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

ahhhh but you sweet innocent JCol have seen my true identity (you have I've seen you blush from it's appearance) and at the same time I delight to see the not-so-innocent JCol come out to play

2/09/2007 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, katie. you MUST give the name of some of the outfits, along with a description of the outfit. it's only fitting.

the entry pales in comparison to what it COULD be if you'd only include those names!

2/09/2007 1:38 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

true jes, but sometimes imagination is even better than reality

2/09/2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Heh, heh.

Bridal showers are a lot of fun. I've only been to one in my life that wasn't so. I went to school with this sweet girl named "Becky". She was Mormon and very, very conservative. Anyway, she met this guy during the summer between our first and second year, and was engaged to him not long after.

She was planning a traditional Mormon ceremony, which of course meant that all of her “non-Mormon friends” (as we became known) couldn’t attend. We could attend the showers and reception, however, so it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Anyway, Becky’s twin sister put together this small bridal shower and several of us (her school/non Mormon friends) were invited. Knowing Becky, we knew that we should “behave” and only buy her things that she could use in her new home (i.e. kitchen ware, picture frames, etc.). Nothing racy (although several of us were tempted just to see how she’d react).

Well, cut to the actual shower. It was like a tea party for grandmothers, except everyone there (apart from for the moms) was in their 20s or early 30s. Despite all efforts to be friendly with one another, you could still draw a line down the middle of the room: Becky’s Mormon friends and family on one side, the rest of us “heathens” on the other. Of course, it didn’t help that one of my other friends, Heather, went out the night before and had been clearly over-served. We might have gotten away with telling everyone that she was just sick, if Heather hadn’t announced the fact that she was hung-over to Becky’s mother upon arrival. Great, Heather. Good timing.

So, we finally got around to the present-opening, and our presents passed with flying colors. Then, Becky started opening presents from relatives, and it was all baby related. Heather, in all her hung-over splendor, practically screamed, “Wait? When did she get knocked-up?” Poor Becky. Her face turned absolutely crimson with embarrassment, at which point her mother turned to all of us and said, “She’s not, but they are planning on starting a family as soon as possible after the wedding.”

Oh.

The last present Becky opened was from her twin sister. It was a bra. A full coverage, beige thing that looked like something my 90 year old grandmother would wear. Becky was clearly horrified that a gift of such a “personal” nature was given to her in front of a room full of her friends and family. Ironically, though, this got Heather and the rest of us off the hook, as Becky’s mom came down hard on Becky’s sister for the gift’s apparent inappropriateness. Heather, always quick on her feet, tried desperately to convince Becky’s mother that the bra had really been her idea (figuring it best for the family if the mother blamed us instead of Becky’s twin), but to no avail.

Anyway, the event ended with Becky in tears, and the group of us being asked to leave. What a nightmare!

2/09/2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

wow deals i can't top that even if i tried

2/09/2007 2:52 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Good gosh - that family is wound up so tight they're likely to explode at any moment. It's good that you left - for your own safety.

I attended two showers last year. At the first one, the best friend wrote down all the comments that the bride mentioned about her gifts.

Ex: the toaster her mom gave her - "oh mom, it's so perfect, oh it's so great"

After the gift-opening ended. The BF read off the quotes, but stated that this is what the bride would be saying on her wedding night. We all laughed SO hard. Knowing they were said so innocently, but turned around.

I mentioned this at the next shower I attended a few weeks later, and her BF did the same thing. CLASSIC.

BTW - that last shower was a lingerie one. I can't repeat THOSE comments.

I have received my most risque lingerie from my mother-in-law and my mother. go figure.

2/09/2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

AM: Do you think it is because they are hoping it will lead to grandbabies? Because that is SOOOO something MY mother would do.

2/09/2007 5:56 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Deals - I never thought of it that way. But you may be on to something there.

Those sneaky mommas. I will succumb to their diabolical plan.

K-T - don't mind us. Deals and I are going to converse on your blog.

2/10/2007 12:20 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

and I meant to say I will NOT succumb to their diabolical plan.

Geesh. Their plan is already working evidently.

2/10/2007 12:21 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

hmmmm... some new titles for this blog come to mind..

K-Naughty-Pinion
K-potty-mouth
K-letsjustsayit
K-ohmyword
K-ohnoshedidnt

and those are just off the top of my head, give me some time and wow, I bet I could come up with some doozies!

2/10/2007 6:07 PM  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I know what you mean... I get labeled a good girl all the time.

2/11/2007 3:40 AM  
Blogger Lorie said...

You sound like my friend Jessica...

Ya'll actually kind of favor, too!

2/12/2007 11:25 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

I stumbled on your blog from a friend's blog, and when I read this I couldn't stop laughing because I know exactly what you mean when you say "it's funny to see how you might shock someone by stepping just a bit out of your perceived image" I get the biggest kick out of doing that!! People usually perceive me as so quiet and proper ... and sometimes it's just so fun to shock them by blowing that to pieces! :)

2/15/2007 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home