Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Voted most likely to . . . .

Trip and fall in front of her entire class reunion.

HA, how appropriate would that be if I had not only been voted that in high school but if it had come true. Especially because I never hit the cash bar at the reunion, so my fall would have been due to my special aformentioned gift of falling and not induced by any foreign substance. Alas, I did not succumb to the falling skills, a great success story for me.

But I was voted something . . . . Most changed female.

There was a bit of irony in the fact that I won this award because I'm pretty sure it was based on outward appearances only and yet if I am changed and quite a bit from who I was 10 years ago. But when you're at your high school reunion, the fact that you weigh about 60 lbs. less and look pretty good in a dress can win you a mini-bottle of cheap champagne.

So this weekend I ventured back to high school and it wasn't that bad. The people were generally the same save for a few years of age on all of us and a few years of life under out belts. I was one of those people that liked high school. Far from being miss popularity or homecoming queen, I was friendly with the masses and involved in the whole high school scene. I was what you might call "normal" as was my high school experience. It was fun to catch up with old friends and reminice about old times, even that time in elementary school when my mother played get-away-car-driver for a house tp-ing adventure that involved three boys sneaking out of their house and jumping in my mom's mini-van A-Team style (oh those where the days).

One thing I realized though is that high school was high school. I have good memories of many of these people and they played a role in who I was back then, and yet as I looked around the room there are only a handful of people that I still share a friendship with and I'm ok with that.

One of my old friends, upon hearing an exchange between two classmates, remarked that we are all adults now so why are we talking to each other like we did 10 years ago. I reminded her that for tonight we're all somewhere inbetween high school and adulthood, at once 18 and insecure and at the same time in out late 20's and establishing out lives. It's a weird place to be, back in the past and yet present in the future.

It was an interesting weekend to at one point get a glimpse of the road ahead with a new job and a new journey and at the same time, looking back at where I came from and who I was. Well that, and I didn't fall down.

8 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Glad you didn't fall down.

:)

10/24/2006 4:37 PM  
Blogger jordan said...

I heard the ten year reunion is best. By that time all the cheerleaders have gotten fat.

10/24/2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

I also liked high school, and I am getting excited for my 10 year - which, might I add, still isn't for a couple of years. :P

10/24/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Kudos for not falling down.

I've never been back to my old high school. No reunions or anything. I don't have big traumatic high school experiences, but I don't especially care to go back for any reason.

I do still have a couple good friends from my high school years, but that's about it.

10/25/2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Mini-champagne? I am suddenly thirsty...

10/25/2006 10:56 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Also, did you say new job? What? Did I miss something? Forget something? My brain is too full!!!!

10/25/2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

I think we need a before/after picture. It's a challenge everyone! We need high school/now pics on everyone's site.

And make it snappy!

Thank you,

The Management

10/25/2006 11:25 AM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Amstaff, before and after pics would be so fun!!

K-T. My 20th will be in '07. Sniffle.sniffle.

I went to my 10 year also. It was o.k. Made me feel like a kid again.

It is amazing to look back and anticipate what is ahead!

10/25/2006 12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home