Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Tall Girl

I would like to preface this post by saying that it was inspired by one Emily and her triumph of mowing (trust me I'll tie my post into hers in one way or another)

I am neither amazonian (thanks Ben) nor am I midgie, I'm just on the verge of being tall. At a towering 5 foot 9 inches (which I've been since about 7th grade) though I seem to have been taller than all my roomates. One in paticular referred to me as "Tall Girl". This term of endearment often was followed by some request to reach something just out of her arm span. She was a little on the short side, ok maybe 5 foot 2, so I was a giant compared to her. In fact, I lamented to her once upon seeing our shoes lined up at the front door that a normal sized person lived here and then the largest possible human being in the world.

Somehow being tall also means that lawn mowing falls to you. It seems the height of the person abd the the height of the grass are all related. So after realizing that we had let the yard go - i.e. you could hide n old VW bug in the weeds and no one would be the wiser. The problem was that we didn't have a lawn mower, so being ever so resourceful I purchased one from Wallyworld. In my great wisdom I figured that all lawnmowers were the same and really just whack at the grass so I didn't need to spend all my money on something fancy or assembled.

I came home with my large box of lawnmower parts and set off (with the help of a friend who was actually going to mow the lawn for me for a wad of cash) to make myself a weed destruction machine. After some creative assembly, consisting of a lot of "this looks right" type comments, we had a fully functioning lawn mower. Well fully funtioning might not be the right word. In fact my friend's friend, who was there to witness this mowing endeavor (why does everything in my life turn into an "event") called it the "Fisher Price Mower".

So my friend sets to work attacking the jungle we called a backyard and well lets just say that if you've let the yard go then you really need more than a fisher price mower to get the job done. I've never seen someone mow with the mower at a 60 degree angle the majority of the time. The job got done, the mower survived, and I paid my poor friend much more than most lawn jockey's make for the odyssey I put him through.

Suffice it to say, I quickly became a mowing expert and could wield my little red lawnmower with amazing skills. Oh, another thing about roomies and mowing, if you own the mower you are the designated mower. Any thought of sharing responsiblity fly out the window at that point, height and ownership dub you the "official whacker of all things growing".

10 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Perhaps your height theory has some basis. Seeing as I'm just shy of 5' (ok, 4'11" people) that must be why I was never assigned that duty. hahaha.. I'm so glad I could inspire you :)

10/18/2006 1:30 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

yes emily if we were every roomies you would be calling me "tall girl" all the time and you would be the cute sweet little one in the house

congrats on tackling the moving with much more success than my first experience

10/18/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Don't ever share this post with Brian. Just a word to the wise.

;)

10/18/2006 3:03 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Great post "official whacker of all things growing".

I was short and I had to mow the lawn at home... so I don't know if I buy into your theory.

10/18/2006 4:23 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I started mowing the lawn when I was shorter than my father ... I assumed that it was because I was both shorter and younger, thus making me unable to defend myself from assignments for which I had no taste. then Dad got a new mower when I was just graduating high school and decided that he was going to do it from now on ... I think because he liked riding the new mower. At that point I was taller. So perhaps it works in opposites between the sexes - short guys and tall girls mow the lawn.

10/18/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger steve said...

Amazonian Lawn care?

Hmmmm... maybe a good career path?

10/19/2006 11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mowing is a great form of exercise. Especially if it's the push mower kind. The kind without power. That's really hard to push. That makes you wish you had a pair of scissors instead, because OH MY GOSH, THAT WOULD BE EASIER THAN PUSHING THIS THING ALL OVER THE LAWN.

Gah.

Apparently, I'm still scarred.

10/19/2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

K8y ya know if your roomies were like the Sporanos...your comment

"official whacker of all things growing"

Just takes on a whole new meaning! Classic!

10/19/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger L.L. Barkat said...

If it's any solace, the short girl 'round here does the lawn mowing... (or not, as I've recently mused in the blogosphere)...

oh, and seeing your lawn-mowing style, I'll be sure to keep my kids out of your path... seeing that they are still growing like weeds. :)

10/20/2006 7:37 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

"Amazonian Lawn Care." I like it.

10/20/2006 7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home