Monday, October 16, 2006

Inside-out and Outside-in

How did I get here? This place where everything is inside-out and outside-in. Where I limit the power of God because I know the weaknesses and inabilities of man, of myself? When did I start to believe that God can be limited by my deficiencies . . . by my fears . . . by me?

When did I put him in a box, specifically a “me” shaped box? When did I let the fear of my failure overwhelm the faith of His ability? How did “me” take precedence over “He”? I know I can’t but that doesn’t mean He can’t either. I know that I fail but He doesn’t know how to do that. I know I’m not able but that’s never stopped Him before.

When did all this doubt and fear grow into a shadow that hid my vision of Him? When did I stop hearing the words of encouragement He placed in the mouths of people I trust and believe? When did I stop hearing His voice telling me I can and only heard my own telling me I can’t?

It was never about me, about my abilities or my failures, because neither will get me very far.

He is able.

"Me" isn't anywhere in that statement.

He is able.

That’s all I need to know, that’s all I need to trust in.

He is able.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I ask myself these questions too. I've been in a not-so-close relationship with God lately. I know what I need to do, but yet I don't do it. I wonder sometimes if I'm rebelling or feeling that I'm not seeing the results that I desire so I am "taking a break". I don't know - I do know it's dangerous. I need to get off my butt and onto my knees.

10/16/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Sounds like everything is coming in to focus once again.

10/16/2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Yeah the "me" part of things....its sad how we all forget that, I know I do all tooo many times.

10/16/2006 10:25 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

WHAT a great word for me today. Thanks. Man, I am dealing with some major fear and insecurity issues lately and this is an encouragement to me. I need to learn to rest in Him...

10/17/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Right On KT.

With God all things are possible.

If you try to substitute other words in that phrase for God it just doesn't work.

With Money all things are possible - Nope.

With the right clothes all things are possible? Nope.

With the right mate all things are possible? Nope

This is something I learned in my BS recently and I was like, "hey, that is so true."

So yep, I think we are all at this place in our lives during different stages. We forget that God is in control and I think sometimes he allows us to get away a little bit. He allows us to stick our hand in the fire to get burned. He allows us free will and there is something about free will that makes us love him more. Wow, I started to really get on a tangent there...

10/17/2006 3:14 PM  
Blogger Lorie said...

But that's true! In the class I'm taking through Sojourn, we talked last week about the pattern God uses for sanctification:

crisis--->clinging--->conformity

God uses our failures and our pain and disappointment to drive us to him and make us more like himself. Amazing. Our pastor said two Sundays ago, "Our failures are what qualify us for grace."

Good stuff.

10/18/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

I like how you brought into focus that fear of our failures is stronger often stronger in us than our faith in His ability. So devastatingly true.

10/18/2006 11:09 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Yeah...

How did you?

When did you?

and

... He is.

Love this post.

10/18/2006 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home