Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Free form day 2

Prayer is one of the biggest acts of faith. The small part we play in salvation, the one act that we must do is a prayer.

It is the trust that our cries are not floating out to the cosmos, echoing off the stars. Prayer is intimate, it is humbling, it is what we give ourselves over to, what we give our loved ones over to, it is the confession of our secret sins, it is the birthplace of our repentance, the sharing of our hopes and fears, it is the slow removal of our masks, revealing the bareness of our soul, it is when we are most real, most vulnerable. All our barriers are down, we are seen, we are heard, we are known. And in that moment, the hopes and pleadings of a child collide with the love and comfort of the Father.

We are drawn into a place of intimacy, into the presence of the Lord. We have His attention. He is enraptured with our voice, with our hearts. It is the moment when God promises to be wholly focused on us, hanging on our words, hearing the unspoken, knowing the unmentionable, and seeing the depths of our hearts. It is here that we can feel the majesty of God and yet know His intimacy, being the focus of a mighty God.

Our praises rising to heaven, delighting His ears, our confession touching His heart of mercy, our thanks piling at His feet, our desires and pleadings noted within His will. In this moment we can boldly approach His throne, and while we may not see Him we are at once in His presence.

Prayer is a priviledge, to have the ear of the almighty God, to have His undivided attention focused on us, on our words. That our voices are sweet to Him, that this time is so precious to Him that He gives it to us. He bends down to hear our cries.


Psalm 138
I will give You thanks with all my heart;
I will sing praises to You before the gods.
I will bow down toward Your holy temple
And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word according to all Your name.
On the day I called, You answered me;
You made me bold with strength in my soul.
All the kings of the earth will give thanks to You, O LORD,
When they have heard the words of Your mouth.
And they will sing of the ways of the LORD,
For great is the glory of the LORD.
For though the LORD is exalted,
Yet He regards the lowly,
But the haughty He knows from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me;
You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
And Your right hand will save me.
The LORD will accomplish what concerns me;
Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

8 Comments:

Blogger chirky said...

:)

I loved reading this Psalm. It reminds me of how much awe I have of God. I think sometimes I forget that, and take my relationship with Him for granted.

3/14/2006 4:33 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

ahhhhhhhhhhh

3/14/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Very well thought out thoughts.

The psalm is a good one. Prayer is powerful and we should do it (or do it more)...

But do we play a role in our salvation? I respectfully disagree if you said yes. If we did then there'd be works in the mix and salvation wouldn't be entirely by God's grace.

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:8-10 NIV

3/14/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Mark D said...

Great post!

Have you ever read any books on prayer written by E.M. Bounds? They are VERY powerful and motivating.

3/14/2006 9:39 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Katie, I am one of the people that thinks that God made it all just for me. He made the Oceans and the mountains and the sunsets on the plains for my personal enjoyment. It may sound self centered. To me it is the crux of gratitude. If it aint personal, I probably don't appreciate it and don't give thanks. When I realize I was on his mind all along, I am truly grateful. I can honestly worship with meaning.

3/14/2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

And yet, prayer is so challenging/confusing that countless books are written about it. David toiled over his prayers. Prayer isn't for wusses. ;o)

3/15/2006 7:17 AM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

Oh my gosh, Katie. This is weird. Okay, the past few days, I have been adding some of my older poems to my blog, and just back-dating them, so I could link to them, but they wouldn't be on the main page, you know? So yesterday, I added a sonnet I had written from Psalm 138! Can you believe it? Weird! I love this Psalm though. Glad it spoke to you as well!

3/15/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Our 2:7 group dicussed prayer last night, including fabulous quotes by E.M. Bounds and Billy Graham.

Next week we are having individual prayer time for three hours. One hour of quiet reflection, one hour in prayer for others, one hour of prayer for ourselves. I have never done anything like this before and I'm both excited and overwhelmed. I will take this Psalm with me to pray and open my heart.

Thanks for sharing K-T. Glad you're not on Spring Break from blogging this week!

3/15/2006 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home