Thursday, March 30, 2006

Change

i come into this place
burning to receive Your peace
i come with my own chains
from wars i've fought for my own selfish gain
You're my God and my Father
i've accepted Your Son
but my soul feels so empty now
what have i become?

Lord, come with Your fire
burn my desires refine me
Lord, my will has deceived me
please come and free me
refine me, refine me

my heart can't see
when i only look at me
my soul can't hear
when i only think of my own fears
they are gone in a moment
You're forever the same
why did i look away from You?
how can i speak Your name?

Lord, come with Your fire
burn my desires refine me
Lord, my will has deceived me
please come and free me
come rescue this child
for i long to be reconciled to You
refine me

all I can do
is lift my heart, my soul to You
and pray, and pray, oh i will pray

These lyrics are from the song "Refine Me" by Jennifer Knapp.

They struck me with their simplicity, their honesty, the whole idea. Somehow it seems to be a running theme of late. Refining. Wresting with God. Laying it all down. Being changed.

Because in the end that is really our only option. To stay as we are, chained to our own will or to come and let the chains fall off, to let go of our will and experience the freedom that comes with His.

To be refined, to be changed.

8 Comments:

Blogger Deals On Wheels said...

Wow. I've never been the first one to comment on your BLOG before. Normally I'm like comment number 34 or something.

This is so exciting (except that now I've forgotten what I was going to say before I realized that I was going to be the first one to comment).

Uh...right. That's all. I'll be back later if I can remember what I've forgotten.

The end...

3/30/2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Kristi B. said...

God changing us, making us better--we tend to resist it, even though it's always for our good.

Good song.

Did this inspire you to CHANGE your profile pic? (which is very cute by the way...and no, I'm not hitting on you!) =)

3/30/2006 2:10 PM  
Blogger steve said...

i am always asking to be refined and then complaining to God about the process... that seems to my story

3/30/2006 2:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

HA

steve - EXACTLY

3/30/2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

I was wondering where I had heard those lyrics and then I figured it out halfway through. For your FYI, I have Jennifer Knapp's first CD before she signed with a major record label. It is called Wishing Well and it is all acoustic. Does that make me cool?

But I agree with your post. And He burns me with his fire almost everyday. I hurt.

3/30/2006 3:21 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

You were already cool, Ben McMinn.

And I really like Jennifer Knapp and her style.

3/30/2006 4:22 PM  
Blogger Aim Claim said...

refining into GOLD... pure gold!

3/30/2006 6:19 PM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Sometimes change can hurt...

3/30/2006 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home