Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Huh?

I realize that many of you may think I am a bit off at times. Manic might be the best way to describe my writing style.

Today I tackle the mundane, or better the insane, because that is what I feel like. Are those the footsteps of the men with the straight jacket I hear?

Really I think I have lost my mind today (ok well I’m pretty sure I lost it a while back but every so often the emptiness between my ears becomes more noticeable).

Case in point:

I was in a fender bender yesterday. Well actually my fender wasn’t bent at all, it was my bumper. So I guess I was in a bumper thumper (oh you know that made you smile). Well this was my first incident of being the victim in a car accident (unless you count the time I was hurled against the roof of a school bus – but that is a different story all together).

So there I was minding my own business, puttering along in stop and go traffic. This is a good place to inform you, my dear audience, that I DO NOT LIKE TRAFFIC. In fact I have often stated that the worst type of torture for me would be to lock me in a car, give me a deadline to be somewhere, and then stick me in traffic where we don’t move at all. I have often pondered the possibility of abandoning my car and walking – that is how much I dislike being stuck without movement. God in his infinite wonder and irony has worked on this with me and placed me in many a traffic jam to teach me about patience – I’m learning the lesson slowly shall we say.

Ok back to my bumper thumper (yep I used it again). There I was stopped with the proper safe distance between myself and the car in front of me (my dad would be so proud) and I was jamming to some good tunes (I may have, in fact, been car dancing – yes if you see a blonde girl in a white Corolla bouncing around it may be me and my killer car seat dance skillz). All of a sudden my body was hurled toward my steering wheel in a very uncomfortable way and I heard what can only be called a “crash”. Now I will admit it took me a moment to realize that I was the one hit (are you getting the insanity idea now). So I look in my rear view window to see a young college girl sitting calmly in her car. So, again, I began to wonder if maybe I was not the one hit and I had somehow had a “sympathy reaction” and decided to throw my own body forward upon hearing someone else crash. Alas, this was just a fleeting moment of insanity, I had been hit.

So we pulled over to the side and did all the official information exchange. I was calm and not really angry and the poor girl commented on how kind I was being. Well I was kind on the outside but I was a bit perturbed when she told me that this was the THIRD rear ending she had been involved in (caused actually). But she was sweet so we did our thing and then went on with our evenings.

So now that I’ve called all the insurance companies and answered all their questions and I get to live with a rental car for a few days, I ponder the emotional and mental toll this has taken on me. And I’m wondering if you can claim temporary insanity or accident induced mental deficiency on a car accident claim.

The reason for this claim? I cannot for the life of me remember my work phone number today. I actually had to put someone on hold so that I could look it up. Now I have it posted on a sticky note on my computer.

Yep, accident induced mental deficiency. I think I have a pretty solid case.

16 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Hehehehe "accident induced mental deficiency." lol "Bumper Thumper"! hehehe You crack me up! Oh and by the way- Let's meld minds even more:

"God in his infinite wonder and irony has worked on this with me and placed me in many a traffic jam to teach me about patience – I’m learning the lesson slowly shall we say."

Yeah, I was just having a conversation with God yesterday after some guy almost took my front end off, and I was telling Him that I know He specifically makes these cars cut me off, and box me in driving 10 miles per hour below the speed limit - things like that- because He's aware of my patience level... and He's working on me. BOO!!!

11/09/2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

B.G. I'm stealing that quote for a forth coming post on patience. PERFECT.

11/09/2005 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

We were bumper thumped by a high school student a few weekends ago after a football game. It didn't make a mark, so Hubby didn't even make her give us any info.

Then she thanked him and said it was the second such incident that week, and thank goodness it didn't hurt anyone this time, because her mom would have killed her.

THEN, she hopped right back on the cell phone.

I'm glad you're OK, and you're probably still just shaken up a little.

11/09/2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger steve said...

so many comments on driving in Texas could be made here. SO.MANY. but I will not. I am glad it was just a lil' one.

11/09/2005 12:09 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh and by the way: Sorry to hear you were "thumped". Glad you're not busted too!

(Sorry, I was so wrapped up in our further melding that I forgot to comment on that part)

11/09/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Ha ha, steve, this thought ran through my mind at the moment of impact - STUPID TEXAS DRIVERS

11/09/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Katie!

Did your forehead "smack" the steering wheel and now you can't remember stuff???!?!?

What's my name?

11/09/2005 12:25 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

No smacking of the head, at least I don't think I smacked it. My back is a bit sore today, yipee.

Do you want your real name or your spy name?

11/09/2005 12:28 PM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

JUBAL!!! Back off!

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, poor K-T and her comfy seated Corolla. Glad you're safe and sound. Sorry you forgot your work#!!! It happens to the best of us sometimes.

Stay safe!

11/09/2005 12:46 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

thanks kelli I would have forgotten, blame it on the accident induced mental deficiency

11/09/2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh my gosh people I just had to look at the sticky note (AGAIN) to tell someone my work number. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

11/09/2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

1.Ugh V8, I am choosing to miss out on that
2. So eat carrots?
3. Well there is a magnetic field in my body because I have crashed and killed three computers in the five years at my school
4. I can do numbers, they like me and I like them so I'm not an anti-numbers person
5. this must be it, but does that mean I can store things in my skull, like a secret compartment for my passport and money when I travel?

11/09/2005 2:39 PM  
Blogger chirky said...

this was your first? you should ride in the car with me more often.

i am proud to say, actually, that i have never been in an accident with another person in my vehicle. time I was hurled against the roof of a school bus – but that is a different story all together.

poor girl. her insurance is SO going to drop her.

i know what THAT is like, too.

11/09/2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger Charlyn said...

Sympathy reaction, bumper thumper - you had me laughing!

You're not going insane - just a case of stress and bad nerves right now - it'll pass.

Glad you're o.k.!

11/09/2005 6:47 PM  
Blogger bigwhitehat said...

Don't file a suit for induced mental deficiency. Remember the local DJs are cruel and you are blonde. It wouldn't be pretty.

BTW Echotig has been rearended twice since we moved to the Metroplex.

11/10/2005 12:32 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Bumper Thumper...hehehe I like that!

I hope you went to out patients or something...be cautious over the next few days that you might experience a delayed reaction of whiplash...

11/10/2005 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home