Thursday, October 13, 2005

Helpless

Do you ever just feel completely helpless? You see someone you care for hurting and yet you can't do anything to change the situation they are in, to take away the pain, to answer the questions they have. All you can do is listen, try to comfort them, and pray.

Your words are empty, the hope you try to offer seems flat, the "I'm sorry's" carry so little weight. I would give anything I could to take their pain away from them and yet I can't.

So I offer the only comfort I can, the only hope I can: I pray. I ask the One who is greater than me to be their comfort, to be their peace, to provide the answers they seek.

I love the Psalms. I love the poetry, the honesty, the emotion, the bareness of them. They often are my cries in weakness and in praise.

Last night I sought the Psalms for something to pray, something to speak back to God to beg Him for His mercy and His comfort for my friend and to remind me that He is in control.

I found Psalm 77

My voice rises to God, and I will cry aloud;
My voice rises to God, and He will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;
In the night my hand was stretched out without weariness;
My soul refused to be comforted.
When I remember God, then I am disturbed;
When I sigh, then my spirit grows faint. Selah.
You have held my eyelids open;
I am so troubled that I cannot speak.
I have considered the days of old,
The years of long ago.
I will remember mysong in the night;
I will meditate with my heart,
And my spirit ponders:
Will the Lord reject forever?
And will He never be favorable again?
Has His lovingkindness ceased forever?
Has His promise come to an end forever?
Has God forgotten to be gracious,
Or has He in anger withdrawn His compassion? Selah.
Then I said, "It is my grief,
That the right hand of the Most High has changed."
I shall remember the deeds of the LORD;
Surely I will remember Your wonders of old.
I will meditate on all Your work
And muse on Your deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;
What god is great like our God?
You are the God who works wonders;
You have made known Your strength among the peoples.
You have by Your power redeemed Your people,
The sons of Jacob and Joseph. Selah.
The waters saw You, O God;
The waters saw You, they were in anguish;
The deeps also trembled.
The clouds poured out water;
The skies gave forth a sound;
Your arrows flashed here and there.
The sound of Your thunder was in the whirlwind;
The lightnings lit up the world;
The earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea
And Your paths in the mighty waters,
And Your footprints may not be known.
You led Your people like a flock
By the hand of Moses and Aaron.

I felt the anguish of the writer, the pain of my friend, and I REMEMBERED the work of our Lord. I am helpless to offer anything to my friend, I am helpless to take away their pain, but I offer the prayers of one girl who trusts that her Lord can and will be sufficient for them.

So I pray this Psalm back to my Lord on behalf of my friend.

14 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

I am glad I have you as a friend.

I know that you weren't praying for me... but I know you will when I need prayer.

You are a true friend Katie.

10/13/2005 9:36 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie-

Beautiful. Your heart, soul, and spirit just radiate. I'm sure I've told you that before. Thank you for being such a gentle spirit.

I know what you mean. When your compassion overflows and it's almost as if you just want to dive into that person's heart and take the pain for them. Or at least share it so they're not alone in it. But really, GOD CAN. And that's the amazing thing in all of this. GOD CAN: and He DOES.

Thank you for sharing your heart, Katie, and for being a prayer warrior for this friend. God hears our cries, and He will answer.

10/13/2005 9:45 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thank you friends, your encouragement is a bit overwhelming.

I appreciate the kind words but if I can ask, please lift up this unnamed friend. We've all been there in the pain and I know every prayer will be heard by our Lord.

10/13/2005 9:50 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Jef - I love that song. Such great words of praise.

10/13/2005 9:56 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

kt, you have such a sweet heart. i feel the emotion in this post and i can read the heart behind it. i absolutely love this psalm, and have turned to it several times in the past. thank you for reminding me of those priceless words.

10/13/2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Amstaff Mom said...

Ecclesiates 4:10 - "If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

We are blessed to have you as our friend K-T.

Thank you so much for sharing that chapter with us. What a comfort to know to that we are not alone in our suffering.

10/13/2005 10:36 AM  
Blogger Luke said...

When I feel as though there's nothing I can do...I rest on this.

2Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10/13/2005 10:39 AM  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Katie, your compassion for this friend fills your post. We all need friends in our lives willing to take on our burdens and lift us up in prayer. How awesome God is for giving us people willing to do this, loving us enough that they would get on their knees, and lift us up to our Creator.

God bless.

10/13/2005 9:01 PM  
Blogger Greg said...

Katie...

first off happy belated birthday.... I was so going to happy birthday you yesterday and I just didn't get to it but I WAS thinking of you!

Second...I wanted to let you know that reading your blog inspires me to stay in the word. To be completely honest, it is hard for me to get in the word everyday. You are reminding me how needed it is for every day and I thank you for that. Keep posting the inspiring stuff!

10/13/2005 9:15 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Amen. Your friend is truly blessed to have you.

Praying for them now.

10/13/2005 10:07 PM  
Blogger Eddo said...

Good Verse. Good words. Yes, when we can do nothing else, we can pray.

10/14/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

How are ya' doin' today K-T?

10/14/2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Oh Stephanie you are such a sweetheart. I'm good.

On the helpless front, I still feel incompetent to offer anything other than prayer and encouragement but that is what God wants me to give. I love that God ALWAYS puts us in positions where we can only cry out to Him.

Still praying.

10/14/2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Me too, Katie. Me too :)

10/14/2005 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home